The Ashford Inn began as a simple two room dwelling built in 1839 by George Marsh. It was purchased by Civil War Colonel John Ashford and his wife Elizabeth in 1869, and as their family grew they added two rooms to the first floor and a second floor with four additional rooms. Colonel Ashford served as one of the commanding officers in the North Carolina Infantry Regiment during the Civil War.
He fought on the front lines at Gettysburg, Bull Run, and Petersburg, and was with General Robert E. Lee when he turned his regiment over to Ulysses S. Grant at Appomattox Court House in 1865. When the home was sold by the Ashford family in 1995, renovations began to convert this gracious southern home into a bed and breakfast and the Inn that it is today.
When we saw the Ashford Inn, the house had all of the charm and elegance we were looking for in a town which was very committed to strengthening its economic development. The house itself has all of the features we were looking for.
There are six elegant guest rooms, and a year-round business class customer base. It was sold as a “turn-key” business, which meant we could move in and begin operating right away without any down time for major renovations. We loved it just the way it was!